Sunday, September 2, 2007

Friday August 24, 2007

"Madame? You look my things?" The overwhelming feeling of vendors washes over me. Every one of these people needs food. How do I choose which bowl I want, which basket?

We enter the blind shop, an amazing place filled with curios and other creations made by those who cannot see.

A young girl has died of AIDS. Cindy had just visited her earlier in the week. Her sister died last August. This poor family.

Shopping in the open market for vegetables to bring to the funeral today.










Yikes! Back away from that open fire when you're stirring that cabbage! I think I have second degree burns on my shin. How do these ladies do this? It's blazing hot, we're wearing skirts, the smoke is getting in our eyes, dogs are starting to fight near us, and wait....the men are sitting under that shady tree over there. Hey! Is Godfrey sleeping? Is Jack writing in his journal? Is that Mark staring off into space? Yet, I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy helping these ladies with their chores during this most difficult time - the death of a loved one.



It's an elephant crossing the road in front of us!! Whoa! A whole herd of elephants. Very cool. The elephants have started to wander into the villages in search of water.

No comments: